At the heart of dermatology is a mission to heal and serve patients living with chronic skin conditions and skin cancer. While we offer an array of cosmetic dermatology treatments and services, our core mission is one of healing, and board-certified dermatologist Dr. C.W. Hanke and our team are here to assist patients in need of medical dermatology care in a caring, clinical environment.
Medical Dermatology Conditions Treated at the LASSI
To help you feel more comfortable and look more amazing and youthful, we offer multiple treatments, prescriptions, and products for the following medical dermatology conditions and common skin complaints:
Acne & Acne Scars
For patients with acne, life is both painful and embarrassing. Acne is a chronic skin condition caused by bacteria that needs specialized skin care with the guidance of a dermatologist and medically-licensed providers who can diagnose and treat acne and its underlying causes.
Acne treatments we offer at The LASSI include:
- Aesthetic Services: Acne Facial, Blemish Injections
- Chemical Peels: We offer a specially formulated acne peel
- Hydrafacial: Dubbed “hydradermabrasion,” a gentler alternative to microdermabrasion
- Prescription-strength medications: Oral and topical medications as prescribed by a physician.
- Medical-grade skin care products: Specially formulated, prescription and non-prescription products for acne treatment and maintenance.
Once we’ve cleared up your acne, we can proceed to treat your acne scars using a variety of minimally invasive procedures.
Age Spots & Brown Spots
Brown spots are most often caused by sun damage and are sometimes called age spots, freckles, moles, or liver spots. In addition to making you look older (photoaging), these spots could be a precursor to skin cancer.
We offer numerous treatments to reduce the appearance of brown spots, hyperpigmentation and melasma, including:
- Hydrafacial Hydradermabrasion: A less abrasive alternative to microdermabrasion.
- Anti-Aging Chemical Peel: Anti-Aging Peel to smooth out skin texture and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- CO2 Laser Skin Resurfacing: An ablative laser that vaporizes the top-most layer of skin, revealing a new, more youthful look. Laser resurfacing works well for sun damage, fine lines, and even acne scars.
- BBL-Broadband Light: Uses light therapy to treat hyperpigmentation and even out skin tone.
- Professional-Grade Skin Care Products: Clinically proven products that smooth out fine lines and even out skin tone.
Dry skin can be a mild irritation or a sign of an underlying condition. It’s important to have your dry skin evaluated and treated by a board-certified dermatologist. It may require a prescription remedy or general skin care treatments, such as our signature facials.
Visible Veins: Spider Veins & Facial Veins
Visible facial veins caused by the natural aging process, sun damage, rosacea, radiation or surgery, are unsightly and age the face prematurely. Often seen around the nose and cheeks, these veins can be removed using specialized laser technology designed to target and eliminate facial veins. Veins on the legs, called spider veins, can be treated with lasers or sclerotherapy.
- Varilite Laser: Specifically designed to treat visible facial veins. Eliminates veins, allowing them to be reabsorbed by the body.
- Sclerotherapy: Used for leg veins, or spider veins.
Lipedema, a progressive accumulation of subcutaneous fat in the buttocks, thighs, and legs, can be painful to touch and limited physical movement and exercise. However, this condition can be treated with liposuction Tumescent Liposuction, a safer form of liposuction in which the patient is awake and local anesthesia is used in lieu of general anesthesia.
A very common skin condition, psoriasis presents as red, scaly, dry patches of skin caused by skin cell buildup. However, in more severe cases, it may also affect the joints, causing pain and discomfort.
A blotchy appearance caused by hormones, sun damage or prior skin care treatments performed by unlicensed professionals can be treated in our practice with a series of treatments and professional-grade skin care products. Whether you have large patches of darkened skin or you’re dealing with port wine stains, we have treatments to even out skin tone and complexion, including:
- Specially Formulated Chemical Peel: Our Hyperpigmentation Peel smooths out skin tone while reducing the appearance of brown spots and sun damaged skin.
- Broadband Light (BBL) Treatments: Light treatments with no downtime or recovery time that reduces the appearance of pigmentation and uneven skin tone.
- DOT Laser Treatment: Fractionated laser targets pigmented skin to reduce their appearance, leaving behind even tone.
- Professional-Grade Skin Care: Skin brighteners to reduce pigmentation and skin care products with sunscreen to protect against pigmentation caused by sun damage.
Rosacea and Skin Redness
Rosacea, a chronic skin condition of unknown origin and no known cure, causes a blushing of the skin that can also cause physical discomfort in some patients.
- Antibiotics and Acne Medications: Topical treatments as prescribed by a physician.
- Broadband Light (BBL): Evens out skin tone and reduces facial redness.
- Pulsed Dye Laser Treatments: “Erases” facial redness even after one treatment.
- Medical-Grade Skin Care: Designed to cleanse and soothe the skin without causing further irritation.
There are numerous types of skin rashes, all with different causes and treatments. While some will clear up on their own, a skin rash can be a sign of underlying disease, virus, or allergic reaction. Some can be a signal of a life threatening situation that requires immediate medical attention.
While harmless, skin tags may cause irritation or simply be unsightly. Get your skin tags diagnosed and removed by a dermatology expert.
Stretch Marks & Scars
Stretch marks caused by significant weight loss or pregnancy are largely a cosmetic concern but can become bothersome as the thin, sensitive skin is more susceptible to rashes caused by fabrics, heat, humidity or excessively dry air. Stretch marks are very difficult to treat, despite numerous over-the-counter products claiming to correct them. We do, however, offer one proven treatment option to correct stretch marks, and that is the Pulsed Dye Laser Procedure, a targeted treatment to soften the appearance of stretch marks.
Sun Damage & Skin Cancer
Did you know that any darkening of the skin due to sun exposure is sun damage? That means that every tan, every freckle, and every mole is sun damage. Sun damage and skin cancer aren’t just caused by numerous sunburns, although those are also major offenders.
We provide our patients with treatments that can reverse sun damage before skin cancer erupts, including:
- Chemical Peel Treatment: Hyperpigmentation peels can help diminish the appearance of brown spots and uneven skin tone associated with sun damaged skin.
- CO2 Laser Skin Resurfacing Procedure: Laser resurfacing can gradually improve the appearance of skin tone and replace sun damaged areas with fresh, youthful skin.
- BBL – Broadband Light – Treatments: A series of light treatments can provide you with a reduction in pigmentation associated with sun damage.
- PhotoDynamic Therapy Treatment Series: Uses a topical photosensitizer and light treatment to treat sun damaged skin such as actinic keratosis and even some skin cancers.
- Skin Care and Sunscreen: To help treat sun damaged skin and prevent future sun damage.
Whether you need your eyebrows shaped every month, want to stop bleaching your upper lip or you’re tired of shaving and waxing unwanted body hair, our team has the tools, technology, and expertise to help. We offer:
- Eyebrow and Lip Waxing Services: Quick, temporary hair removal and artistic brow shaping.
- Laser Hair Removal: Permanent reduction of unwanted body hair. Great for underarms, bikini zone, legs, arms, chest, and back.
Port Wine Stains, strawberry haemangiomas, and cavernous hemangiomas can appear anywhere on the body and can be large enough to cover an entire extremity of the body. However, patients who would rather live without these vascular birthmarks have options here at The Laser and Skin Surgery Center of Indiana, including:
- Pulsed Dye Laser for Birthmarks: Moderate treatment to eliminate dark red patches.
- Ablative CO2 Laser: For more stubborn red marks that can’t be treated with Pulsed Dyed Laser.
Schedule an Appointment for Medical Dermatology Evaluations and Treatment
Medical dermatology conditions can affect a person’s quality of life. In some cases, treatments and prescriptions may be covered by insurance. Others are considered cosmetic and aren’t covered by insurance. If you contact our Indiana medical dermatology practice, we can work with you to come up with a good treatment plan to manage your skin conditions within your budget.