Your skin is your body’s largest organ, the foundation of your appearance, and it deserves proper care. While you may think you’re taking great care of your skin, unless you’re seeing a dermatologist, you could be missing out on important diagnoses and treatments for skin conditions. Even if you get regular facials and other skincare treatments with an aesthetician, they aren’t physicians who can spot, diagnose, and treat conditions like acne, rosacea, and skin cancer; furthermore, their ability to treat certain skin conditions is limited to skincare products when what you may really need is a prescription.
In this article, we’re going to explore the different ways a dermatologist can help you improve your skin health and appearance and why you should choose an aesthetician under the supervision and guidance of a dermatologist.
What Does a Dermatologist Offer?
Dermatologists offer a wide range of professional, clinically-proven solutions to improve the health and appearance of your skin. A board-certified dermatologist can:
- Diagnose and treat a variety of skin conditions, such as acne, rashes, and suspicious skin lesions
- Prescribe topical and oral medications
- Perform skin surgeries and high-intensity laser procedures
- Apply medium to intense chemical peels
- Ensure your products and treatments are not going to cause a reaction due to allergies or sensitivities
- Provide guidance on how to best protect your skin from the sun and other environmental factors
- Give you access to clinical trials you may need to help with skin conditions that haven’t responded to other treatments
What Does an Aesthetician Offer?
An aesthetician offers a variety of services to improve the appearance of your skin. Aestheticians are licensed to:
- Perform facials and exfoliation
- Apply certain light to medium chemical peels
- Administer low-level laser and light treatments
- Recommend skincare products available for purchase without a prescription
- Perform skin extractions*
*Depending on your state, an aesthetician may or may not be able to lance cysts, perform microneedling treatments, or administer other treatments requiring a needle.
An aesthetician is not a physician and cannot diagnose or treat skin conditions. In addition, their ability to treat certain skin conditions is limited to skincare products.
Choosing an Aesthetician Who Works With a Dermatologist
If you want the best possible care for your skin, you should choose an aesthetician who works under the supervision of a dermatologist. This combination, team-based approach to skincare is more holistic, ensuring your skin health needs are fully realized. Your aesthetician will know which prescriptions you’re taking and which products to stay away from based on guidance from your dermatologist. They can work together to develop a treatment plan.
Better Skincare Product Access
Aestheticians have access to certain types of skincare products in a non-physician practice. However, dermatologists are able to carry more advanced, medical-grade skincare products that require a prescription to obtain. When you see a dermatologist and an aesthetician, you get the best of both worlds.
Why You Should Choose The Laser and Skin Surgery Center of Indiana (LASSI)
The Laser and Skin Surgery Center of Indiana (LASSI) is the perfect choice for anyone looking for quality dermatological care. Choose the LASSI if you:
- Are looking for a dermatologist who works with a team of dermatology and skincare experts for a holistic approach to care.
- May be interested in being involved in clinical trials, which is beneficial for anyone who has a persistent skin condition that doesn’t respond to existing treatments.
- Want to work with a team of dermatology and aesthetic providers who are supervised by a well-respected leader in the field of dermatologic surgery.
- Are interested in both medical and cosmetic dermatology in addition to aesthetic services.
The LASSI is a full-service practice offering medical dermatology, cosmetic dermatology, and aesthetic services; this gives our patients a full range of care under one roof. Additionally, our clinical trials facility gives patients access to developing treatment protocols which put our practice at the forefront of innovation in dermatology.
About The LASSI Founder and Medical Director: Dr. C. William Hanke, Board-Certified Dermatologist and Dermatologic Surgeon
Dr. C. William Hanke is well regarded for his skill in dermatologic surgery, laser therapy, and cosmetic surgery throughout the world. He is frequently invited to lecture to physicians at medical conferences, both nationally and internationally.
Prior to founding the Laser and Skin Surgery Center of Indiana in 1998, Dr. Hanke was a Professor of Dermatology, Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, and Professor of Pathology at Indiana University’s School of Medicine. He was the first American doctor to be granted the triple professorship.
Under the direction of Dr. Hanke, our team of dermatology professionals and aestheticians provides a high-quality standard of care under one roof.
Schedule a Consultation With Our Dermatology Team in Indianapolis
If you’re ready to change up your skincare routine with a comprehensive approach to dermatologic care, contact us at the Laser and Skin Surgery Center of Indiana in Indianapolis. We look forward to helping you achieve healthier, younger-looking, radiant skin.