Are you thinking about getting face lift surgery (rhytidectomy)? Not everyone who wants to look younger needs a rhytidectomy to see results. For many patients, non-surgical treatments with a skilled dermatologic surgeon can provide anti-aging results. They can even delay the need for surgical interventions.
Postpone a Rhytidectomy (Facelift) With Non-Surgical Anti-Aging Treatments
Starting as young as possible, great skin care, sun protection, and professional treatments in a dermatologic surgeon’s office can help you prevent or postpone the need for facial plastic surgery. However, if you’re at the point where you’re thinking about a rhytidectomy, there are still options that can help you achieve a more youthful look.
BOTOX & Dermal Fillers
Cosmetic injectables help reduce visible aging in a variety of ways going beyond the smoothing of crow’s feet or lip enhancement. In the hands of a skilled dermatologic surgeon, injectables like Botox and dermal fillers can also correct facial volume loss and sagging.
- Correcting Sagging Jowls: We can lift and tighten jowls to smooth your jawline using Botox and facial fillers. Botox injections can be used to tighten the jawline muscles. Facial fillers injected into the cheek area can also lift the loose, sagging skin while also restoring lost facial volume. We often use Juvederm Voluma and Restylane Lyft for this job, but the appropriate filler varies from patient to patient. Sculptra is also a popular injectable to correct facial sagging, as it rebuilds collagen beneath the skin. This provides greater support for the skin. Many patients combine Sculptra with a hyaluronic acid filler like Juvederm or Restylane for even greater results.
- Eye Rejuvenation: If you have under-eye bags/dark circles or brows that droop, you may have considered an blepharoplasty (eye lift) or a brow lift as part of your rhytidectomy. However, injectables like Restylane under the eyes and Botox into the brow area can restore a more youthful, alert appearance. If you’re just noticing these signs, microneedling can also help for prevention and to reverse aging progression.
Microneedling and Laser Skin Rejuvenation
Whether or not you choose cosmetic injectables, you may also consider a series of laser or microneedling treatments to assist with facial rejuvenation and anti-aging. Microneedling and laser skin resurfacing treatments help in a variety of ways.
- Boosting Natural Collagen and Elastin Production: Collagen provides volume and support beneath the skin while elastin improves skin elasticity. Both also increase skin healing to reduce the signs of aging.
- Reducing Surface-Area Imperfections: Fine lines, wrinkles, sun damage, uneven skin tone and texture, and even scars make us look older. Microneedling and laser skin treatments help reduce the appearance of these surface imperfections.
While these treatments don’t provide dramatic results for patients who have more advanced signs of aging, they can be used to supplement other treatments and as a preventative measure.
Kybella and CoolSculpting’s CoolMini
Your face may be smooth and youthful, but what about your neck and chin? While Botox can tighten neck muscles for a smoother look, it does nothing for double chin fat. Liposuction can reduce submental fullness, but if you want to avoid surgery, both Kybella and CoolSculping are FDA-approved for double chin reduction.
- Kybella is an injectable treatment that melts fat beneath the chin. It was the first FDA-approved non-surgical treatment for submental fullness.
- CoolMini was developed as a specialized double chin applicator using CoolSculpting, the #1 non-surgical fat reduction procedure. With the CoolMini applicator, CoolSculpting double chin reduction was FDA-approved and works well to reduce submental fullness.
Non-Surgical Treatments to Improve Results Following Rhytidectomy
Many patients won’t see their desired results without a rhytidectomy. However, if you have facial plastic surgery, you can still benefit from non-surgical cosmetic enhancements and skin treatments.
While a rhytidectomy can tighten loose skin, it does not restore lost facial volume. Therefore, many patients still benefit from dermal filler treatments. Laser skin treatments are also incredibly popular following a rhytidectomy, as the surgery does not address skin care to correct sun damage and scars. Botox and Botox alternatives like Dysport and Xeomin are also popular with patients following facelift surgery for fine lines and maintenance.
Postpone a Rhytidectomy at the Laser and Skin Surgery Center of Indiana
Considering surgical or non-surgical procedures for facial anti-aging? Come see us at the Laser and Skin Surgery Center of Indiana (LASSI) in Indianapolis for a non-surgical consultation first. Find out if non-surgical treatments are right for your facial anti-aging needs and goals. Our own Dr. C. William Hanke is a board-certified dermatologic surgeon with decades of experience in facial rejuvenation and has even led clinical trials for BOTOX, Kybella, and various laser treatments. Dr. Hanke can help you postpone the need for a rhytidectomy with a personalized treatment plan for your needs and goals. Contact us today for a consultation.