Are you thinking about getting face lift surgery (rhytidectomy)? Not everyone who wants to look younger needs a rhytidectomy to see results. For many patients, non-surgical treatments with a skilled dermatologic surgeon can provide anti-aging results. They can even delay the need for surgical interventions.
Postpone a Rhytidectomy (Facelift) With Non-Surgical Anti-Aging Treatments
Starting as young as possible, great skin care, sun protection, and professional treatments in a dermatologic surgeon’s office can help you prevent or postpone the need for facial plastic surgery. However, if you’re at the point where you’re thinking about a rhytidectomy, there are still options that can help you achieve a more youthful look.
BOTOX & Dermal Fillers
Cosmetic injectables help reduce visible aging in a variety of ways going beyond the smoothing of crow’s feet or lip enhancement. In the hands of a skilled dermatologic surgeon, injectables like Botox and dermal fillers can also correct facial volume loss and sagging.
- Correcting Sagging Jowls: We can lift and tighten jowls to smooth your jawline using Botox and facial fillers. Botox injections can be used to tighten the jawline muscles. Facial fillers injected into the cheek area can also lift the loose, sagging skin while also restoring lost facial volume. We often use Juvederm Voluma and Restylane Lyft for this job, but the appropriate filler varies from patient to patient. Sculptra is also a popular injectable to correct facial sagging, as it rebuilds collagen beneath the skin. This provides greater support for the skin. Many patients combine Sculptra with a hyaluronic acid filler like Juvederm or Restylane for even greater results.
- Eye Rejuvenation: If you have under-eye bags/dark circles or brows that droop, you may have considered an blepharoplasty (eye lift) or a brow lift as part of your rhytidectomy. However, injectables like Restylane under the eyes and Botox into the brow area can restore a more youthful, alert appearance. If you’re just noticing these signs, microneedling can also help for prevention and to reverse aging progression.
Microneedling and Laser Skin Rejuvenation
Whether or not you choose cosmetic injectables, you may also consider a series of laser or microneedling treatments to assist with facial rejuvenation and anti-aging. Microneedling and laser skin resurfacing treatments help in a variety of ways.
- Boosting Natural Collagen and Elastin Production: Collagen provides volume and support beneath the skin while elastin improves skin elasticity. Both also increase skin healing to reduce the signs of aging.
- Reducing Surface-Area Imperfections: Fine lines, wrinkles, sun damage, uneven skin tone and texture, and even scars make us look older. Microneedling and laser skin treatments help reduce the appearance of these surface imperfections.
While these treatments don’t provide dramatic results for patients who have more advanced signs of aging, they can be used to supplement other treatments and as a preventative measure.
Kybella and CoolSculpting’s CoolMini
Your face may be smooth and youthful, but what about your neck and chin? While Botox can tighten neck muscles for a smoother look, it does nothing for double chin fat. Liposuction can reduce submental fullness, but if you want to avoid surgery, both Kybella and CoolSculping are FDA-approved for double chin reduction.
- Kybella is an injectable treatment that melts fat beneath the chin. It was the first FDA-approved non-surgical treatment for submental fullness.
- CoolMini was developed as a specialized double chin applicator using CoolSculpting, the #1 non-surgical fat reduction procedure. With the CoolMini applicator, CoolSculpting double chin reduction was FDA-approved and works well to reduce submental fullness.
Non-Surgical Treatments to Improve Results Following Rhytidectomy
Many patients won’t see their desired results without a rhytidectomy. However, if you have facial plastic surgery, you can still benefit from non-surgical cosmetic enhancements and skin treatments.
While a rhytidectomy can tighten loose skin, it does not restore lost facial volume. Therefore, many patients still benefit from dermal filler treatments. Laser skin treatments are also incredibly popular following a rhytidectomy, as the surgery does not address skin care to correct sun damage and scars. Botox and Botox alternatives like Dysport and Xeomin are also popular with patients following facelift surgery for fine lines and maintenance.
Postpone a Rhytidectomy at the Laser and Skin Surgery Center of Indiana
Considering surgical or non-surgical procedures for facial anti-aging? Come see us at the Laser and Skin Surgery Center of Indiana (LASSI) in Indianapolis for a non-surgical consultation first. Find out if non-surgical treatments are right for your facial anti-aging needs and goals. Our own Dr. C. William Hanke is a board-certified dermatologic surgeon with decades of experience in facial rejuvenation and has even led clinical trials for BOTOX, Kybella, and various laser treatments. Dr. Hanke can help you postpone the need for a rhytidectomy with a personalized treatment plan for your needs and goals. Contact us today for a consultation.
Top Holiday Beauty Tips and Treatments
This time of year, the Internet is full of holiday beauty tips and makeup tutorials for a beautiful holiday season. But that’s not what you’re going to find here! Forget about contouring with makeup, because our holiday beauty tips will give you lasting results in anti-aging and skin care that will leave you looking great long after the makeup wears off. Learn about wrinkle relaxing injectables, dermal fillers, and skin care treatments that will have you looking amazing at your next holiday party.
Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin Wrinkle Relaxers
Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin are injectables using the FDA-approved botulinum toxin for cosmetic anti-aging and chronic conditions such as hyperhidrosis and migraines. Before holiday parties, we recommend getting Botox treatments for:
- forehead lines
- crow’s feet
- brow lines
- non-surgical brow lift
- non-surgical neck lift
- hyperhidrosis (excessive underarm sweating)
Cosmetic Dermal Fillers
Facial anti-aging is more than tighter skin and smoothed lines; lost facial volume is responsible for hollow cheeks, thinning lips, and sagging jowls. Fast acting hyaluronic acid fillers restore lost volume, enhance facial features, and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and folds. Some of the most popular filler treatments include:
- Liquid Facelift: Often used in combination with Botox, a liquid facelift uses fillers to restore lost facial volume, including in the nasolabial folds, marionette lines, cheeks, lips, and even the temples and neck. Results last up to 4 months with Botox and 2 years with fillers. Get your treatments 3-4 weeks prior to a major event. Dr. Hanke utilizes painless cannula techniques for fillers. The results are outstanding and side-effects are infrequent.
- Lip Enhancement: Juvederm Volbella and Restylane Silk are specially formulated to provide fuller, more youthful, symmetrical lips with a soft, natural-looking appearance. Results last up to 3-4 months, and we recommend having your treatment 2-3 weeks prior to a big event.
- Cheek Augmentation: Some patients have always wanted fuller “apple” cheeks, while others have seen their cheeks “sink” over the years. This is a natural part of the aging process, but thanks to fillers like Juvederm Voluma and Restylane Lyft, you don’t have to live with it. Even better, results can last up to 2 years! Get your cheek fillers at least 2-3 weeks prior to any party or photo shoot.
- Under-Eye Rejuvenation: Whether it’s the stress and lack of sleep that comes with the holiday season, or you suffer from allergies, non-surgical under-eye rejuvenation with Restylane can help smooth away dark circles and bags under the eyes. Results last up to 3-4 months. For best results, get your under-eye treatment 3-4 weeks prior to a big event.
Holiday Beauty Tips for Injectable Treatments
If you’re considering Botox or fillers as a pre-holiday cosmetic treatment, follow these tips to recover from your treatments more quickly:
- Avoid aspirin and other blood-thinning medications before and after treatment to reduce bleeding and bruising.
- Apply ice after treatment to more quickly reduce swelling.
- Get your treatment 3-4 weeks prior to your holiday parties and portraits. This provides you with ample time to heal from your treatment and see full results.
- Don’t miss your follow-up appointment.
- Don’t get injectable treatments for the very first time prior to a major event or photo sitting. If you’ve never had Botox or fillers before, we recommend coming in for your first treatment about 6-7 months prior to ensure your results are as expected.
- Don’t drink alcohol for one week before and after your treatment, as alcohol increases bleeding.
Quick-Fix Aesthetic Treatments and Holiday Beauty Tips for Flawless Skin
Need a deep exfoliation or a quick treatment to clear up acne? Looking for holiday beauty tips for better home skin care products? We also provide skin care services in our LASSI Skin aesthetics clinic. Some great treatments to get one week prior to a holiday event include:
- Dermaplaning: This deep exfoliating treatment uses a specialized blade in the hands of a licensed aesthetic specialist to “shave” away fine facial hair and dead skin cells, leaving behind a smooth, fresh canvas.
- Blemish Injections: Potent cortisone injections are placed directly into blemishes to blast them away quickly and effectively.
- Hydrafacial: Also known as hydra-dermabrasion, this deep cleansing facial also delivers potent nutrients to the skin to address common skin concerns.
- Chemical Peel: Peel away dead skin and diminish the appearance of fine lines, scars, brown spots, and facial redness.
Get More Holiday Beauty Tips at the LASSI
Are you ready to take advantage of our holiday cosmetic treatments? Are you looking for more holiday beauty tips for a more beautiful and youthful holiday season? Schedule a consultation at the Laser and Skin Surgery Center of Indiana, your premier dermatology destination in Indianapolis for cosmetic injectables and aesthetic services. Our board-certified dermatologic surgeon Dr. C. William Hanke and our licensed aesthetician Maura Holland are here to help you look more beautiful and youthful for your holiday parties and portraits, and we all look forward to wishing you a very happy holiday season.