Acne is more than just another aesthetic skin concern. Acne can have real medical consequences that affect a patient’s self-esteem and overall wellness. Inflammation, infection, and pain can require antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medications, and visible scars. Thankfully, patients have more options for acne treatments that can help soothe the skin, reduce inflammation, and destroy bacteria. Sometimes, you may not even require a prescription. Every patient is different, and that’s why we provide so many acne treatment options here at the Laser and Skin Surgery Center of Indiana.
Acne Treatment Options You’ll Love at the LASSI
The aestheticians at LASSI, the Laser and Skin Surgery Center of Indiana, are proud to offer patients a wide range of acne treatment options to help clear up active acne, reduce the number of breakouts, and maintain clearer skin. In addition to providing these aesthetic acne treatments, our practice is also a dermatology and dermatologic surgery center. Owned and operated by board-certified dermatologic surgeon Dr. C. William Hanke, our acne patients can feel more confident knowing that a physician with training and expertise in skin care is in charge of both their medical and cosmetic acne treatment solutions.
Our aesthetics clinic, LASSI Skin, provides acne patients with the following aesthetic acne treatments that are not only effective but also something that our patients look forward to:
IPL Photofacial for Acne
IPL stands for intense pulsed light. An IPL photofacial uses different wavelengths of light to correct uneven pigmentation in your skin and kill the Propionibacterium that contributes to acne. IPL also causes the sebaceous glands in the skin to shrink. These glands produce fats and oils that lubricate your skin and hair but also feed bacteria when they are clogged with dirt and oil.
You will probably need about three to six IPL treatments before you see results. The sessions last about 20 minutes. There’s no downtime, so you can go back to school or work right after your treatment. Your skin may be a bit more red than usual after an IPL treatment, but that goes away after a couple of days.
Blu Light therapy kills the bacteria that causes active acne. It uses a fluorescent blue light that is completely painless. We recommend that most patients come to our clinic a couple of times per week for best results. All you have to do is put on eye protection and sit or lie in front of an arrangement of U-shaped light bulbs. Each Blu Light session lasts about a half an hour and can be very relaxing.
Microneedling is a treatment that stimulates your body to produce collagen and elastin, which are springy and stretchy materials found in the lower layers of your skin. During a microneedling session, you are given a topical anesthesia followed by a skin care product. The aesthetician then uses micropen to glide across the skin while the spring-loaded action makes microscopic punctures in the skin. The body considers this a microscopic injury and sends collagen and elastin to the area to heal it. At the same time, your skin absorbs the topical skin care product. Microneedling lasts about 20 minutes, and patients have between three and six sessions to see the best results.
Another benefit of microneedling is that it will simultaneously reduce the appearance of any acne scars you may have developed, giving you even clearer skin.
An acne chemical peel is a gentle, superficial peel that exfoliates the very top layer of skin. The peel formula has materials that reduce inflammation and control secretions from the sebaceous glands. It’s often recommend that you combine an acne peel with an acne facial (see below) for best results.
HydraFacial is the newest form of microdermabrasion that combines several skin care treatments in a single procedure. Also called hydradermabrasion, the Hydrafacial system cleanses and exfoliates the skin while infusing it with nourishing ingredients designed to treat and hydrate your skin. The best part is that we are able to customize the treatment to your needs.
Facials are one of the most pleasurable treatments we provide here at the LASSI. Your aesthetician will first cleanse your skin, followed by a series of masks, steam, and massage to exfoliate and hydrate your skin. As you can imagine, this treatment is not only not painless but relaxing. Following your acne facial, you will have an opportunity to discuss the products used and be able to purchase skin care products right in our practice to help you improve and maintain your results at home. Your aesthetician will happily guide you through the process of selecting the right products for your needs.
If you have cysts, papules or nodules, your aesthetician may give you a cortisone shot directly into the lesion. This destroys it within 24 hours. It is the solution if you have a date or an important event to attend and need your skin to be clear in a hurry.
What if I need a prescription acne treatment?
If you need a prescription, LASSI’s board-certified dermatologic surgeon can prescribe medications such as retinoid creams, antibiotics, isotretinoin, and others. There’s a long list of prescription topical and oral medications that can help clear up acne. The prescription(s) recommended for you will be determined by the type of acne you have, what other acne treatments you’ve already tried, how often or recently you’ve taken antibiotics, and if you’re a woman who is pregnant or nursing.
Why Choose LASSI Skin for Acne Treatment?
Our staff and aestheticians are experts in treating all kinds of skin problems with aesthetic services at LASSI Skin. LASSI is an accredited clinical trials facility. We are recognized and licensed by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, which means the staff follows the highest standards for patient care. The LASSI was founded by the award-winning dermatologist Dr. C. William Hanke, who also lectures and teaches other physicians on how to diagnose and treat skin conditions.
Schedule a Consultation at the LASSI in Indianapolis for Acne Treatment Today
Ready to say goodbye to acne flare-ups? Schedule a consultation with Dr. Hanke or one of our other skilled dermatology and aesthetics providers to discuss acne treatment options to reduce flares while soothing and calming your skin.
Top Holiday Beauty Tips and Treatments
This time of year, the Internet is full of holiday beauty tips and makeup tutorials for a beautiful holiday season. But that’s not what you’re going to find here! Forget about contouring with makeup, because our holiday beauty tips will give you lasting results in anti-aging and skin care that will leave you looking great long after the makeup wears off. Learn about wrinkle relaxing injectables, dermal fillers, and skin care treatments that will have you looking amazing at your next holiday party.
Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin Wrinkle Relaxers
Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin are injectables using the FDA-approved botulinum toxin for cosmetic anti-aging and chronic conditions such as hyperhidrosis and migraines. Before holiday parties, we recommend getting Botox treatments for:
- forehead lines
- crow’s feet
- brow lines
- non-surgical brow lift
- non-surgical neck lift
- hyperhidrosis (excessive underarm sweating)
Cosmetic Dermal Fillers
Facial anti-aging is more than tighter skin and smoothed lines; lost facial volume is responsible for hollow cheeks, thinning lips, and sagging jowls. Fast acting hyaluronic acid fillers restore lost volume, enhance facial features, and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and folds. Some of the most popular filler treatments include:
- Liquid Facelift: Often used in combination with Botox, a liquid facelift uses fillers to restore lost facial volume, including in the nasolabial folds, marionette lines, cheeks, lips, and even the temples and neck. Results last up to 4 months with Botox and 2 years with fillers. Get your treatments 3-4 weeks prior to a major event. Dr. Hanke utilizes painless cannula techniques for fillers. The results are outstanding and side-effects are infrequent.
- Lip Enhancement: Juvederm Volbella and Restylane Silk are specially formulated to provide fuller, more youthful, symmetrical lips with a soft, natural-looking appearance. Results last up to 3-4 months, and we recommend having your treatment 2-3 weeks prior to a big event.
- Cheek Augmentation: Some patients have always wanted fuller “apple” cheeks, while others have seen their cheeks “sink” over the years. This is a natural part of the aging process, but thanks to fillers like Juvederm Voluma and Restylane Lyft, you don’t have to live with it. Even better, results can last up to 2 years! Get your cheek fillers at least 2-3 weeks prior to any party or photo shoot.
- Under-Eye Rejuvenation: Whether it’s the stress and lack of sleep that comes with the holiday season, or you suffer from allergies, non-surgical under-eye rejuvenation with Restylane can help smooth away dark circles and bags under the eyes. Results last up to 3-4 months. For best results, get your under-eye treatment 3-4 weeks prior to a big event.
Holiday Beauty Tips for Injectable Treatments
If you’re considering Botox or fillers as a pre-holiday cosmetic treatment, follow these tips to recover from your treatments more quickly:
- Avoid aspirin and other blood-thinning medications before and after treatment to reduce bleeding and bruising.
- Apply ice after treatment to more quickly reduce swelling.
- Get your treatment 3-4 weeks prior to your holiday parties and portraits. This provides you with ample time to heal from your treatment and see full results.
- Don’t miss your follow-up appointment.
- Don’t get injectable treatments for the very first time prior to a major event or photo sitting. If you’ve never had Botox or fillers before, we recommend coming in for your first treatment about 6-7 months prior to ensure your results are as expected.
- Don’t drink alcohol for one week before and after your treatment, as alcohol increases bleeding.
Quick-Fix Aesthetic Treatments and Holiday Beauty Tips for Flawless Skin
Need a deep exfoliation or a quick treatment to clear up acne? Looking for holiday beauty tips for better home skin care products? We also provide skin care services in our LASSI Skin aesthetics clinic. Some great treatments to get one week prior to a holiday event include:
- Dermaplaning: This deep exfoliating treatment uses a specialized blade in the hands of a licensed aesthetic specialist to “shave” away fine facial hair and dead skin cells, leaving behind a smooth, fresh canvas.
- Blemish Injections: Potent cortisone injections are placed directly into blemishes to blast them away quickly and effectively.
- Hydrafacial: Also known as hydra-dermabrasion, this deep cleansing facial also delivers potent nutrients to the skin to address common skin concerns.
- Chemical Peel: Peel away dead skin and diminish the appearance of fine lines, scars, brown spots, and facial redness.
Get More Holiday Beauty Tips at the LASSI
Are you ready to take advantage of our holiday cosmetic treatments? Are you looking for more holiday beauty tips for a more beautiful and youthful holiday season? Schedule a consultation at the Laser and Skin Surgery Center of Indiana, your premier dermatology destination in Indianapolis for cosmetic injectables and aesthetic services. Our board-certified dermatologic surgeon Dr. C. William Hanke and our licensed aesthetician Maura Holland are here to help you look more beautiful and youthful for your holiday parties and portraits, and we all look forward to wishing you a very happy holiday season.