Dr. Hanke has a reputation for excellence in dermatologic surgery, laser, and cosmetic surgery that extends around-the-world. He is consistently listed in Best Doctors in America and America’s Top Docs. Dr. Hanke is acknowledged as a Top Doc in U.S. News and World Report and Indianapolis Monthly. He has lectured to physicians at medical meetings in 25 countries and has performed live surgery in 7 countries.
A graduate of the University of Iowa Carver College Of Medicine, Dr. Hanke completed a residency in the Department of Dermatology at the Cleveland Clinic, and then completed fellowship training at the Cleveland Clinic (Mohs Micrographic Surgery) and Indiana University School of Medicine (dermatopathology). He also earned a Master’s Degree in Epidemiology from the University of Hawaii School of Public Health.
Before founding the Laser and Skin Surgery Center of Indiana, in Carmel, Indiana, in 1998, Dr. Hanke served as Professor of Dermatology, Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, and Professor of Pathology at IUSM. He was the first physician in the United States to be awarded the triple Professorship. The Laser and Skin Surgery Center of Indiana is a specialty outpatient facility dedicated to Mohs micrographic surgery for skin cancer, laser surgery, and aesthetic surgery. The facility is accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC), which assures that our healthcare organization adopts best practices and complies with nationally-recognized standards for patient safety. Our facility was the first office-based surgical facility to be accredited in the state of Indiana.
Dr. Hanke established and directed the first Mohs micrographic surgery fellowship training program at IUMC.
Dr. Hanke is the founder and current Director of the one-year fellowship training program in Micrographic Surgery and Dermatologic Oncology at St. Vincent Hospital, Indianapolis.
Dr. Hanke is Clinical Professor of Otolaryngology at Indiana University School of Medicine and Visiting Professor of Dermatology at the University of Iowa-Carver College of Medicine. He has served as Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Dermatologic Surgery and Oncology. Dr. Hanke has served on the editorial boards for the Journal of Cosmetic and Laser Therapy, the American Journal of Cosmetic Surgery, the Achieves of Dermatology, the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology and the Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, and the Saturday Evening Post. He currently serves as Senior Editor of Drugs in Dermatology.
Dr. Hanke has lectured widely and has been visiting professor at many other institutions including the Mayo Clinic, Columbia University, Duke University, the University of Michigan, the University of New Mexico, the University of Maryland, Case Western Reserve University, Northwestern University, the Medical College of Georgia, and the University of Cincinnati.
He has taught live surgery instructional courses to physicians in Brazil, Mexico, Portugal, Spain, Italy, and Germany.
Dr. Hanke has been a clinical investigator on clinical research trials for Botox, Dysport, Xeomin, Restylane, Juvederm, Sculptra, photodynamic therapy, actinic keratosis, basal cell carcinoma, and multiple other drugs and devices. Dr. Hanke serves as a consultant on research trials for multiple pharmaceutical companies.
Dr. Hanke has made more than 400 contributions to the medical literature including more than 100 book chapters and 26 books. His publications have resulted in a listing in the 97th percentile of physician authors on Researchgate.net.
- Otis R. Bowen Award, Indiana University
- Glen W. Irwin, Jr. Award, Indiana University
- W. George Pinnell Award, Indiana University
- Samuel J. Stegman Award, American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
- Distinguished Achievement Award, American College of Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Cutaneous Oncology
- President’s Gold Medal, International Society for Dermatologic Surgery
- Karl Koller Award, Austrian Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- The Gold Medal, American Academy of Dermatology
- Frederic E. Mohs Award, American College of Mohs Surgery
- The President’s Award, American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
- Sagamore of the Wabash, Governor O’Bannon-State of Indiana
- Governor’s Award for Excellence, Governor Daniels-State of Indiana
- Past President of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- Past President of the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
- Past President of the International Society for Dermatologic Surgery
- Past President of the American College of Mohs Surgery
- Past President of the International Society of Cosmetic Laser Surgeons
- Past President of the American Academy of Dermatology
- Past President of the Association of Academic Dermatologic Surgeons
- Past President of the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care
- Senior Vice President of the Skin Cancer Foundation